CBC Week is finally over, and now I can get back to my regularly scheduled life…
I had such a great time this weekend! Between the conference seminars, to ALL of the parties from the Newseum to the French Embassy, and Back to U Street for a Jumbo Slice, I can say that I made my rounds through the Capitol city this week! Ahhh, the life of a socialite! The Black party at Ibiza was such a great surprise, as it was full of performances by Chrisette Michelle, Ledisi, and Raheem DeVaughn.
It was even better on Debate night at our CBC Debate Watch Party. Ton Joyner was the MC, and CNN contributor Roland Martin was proving coverage of our watch party. After the debate, I was interviewed by Roland Martin for his CNN Special “What They’re Not Sayin” which Martin facilitated discussions with debate watchers on what the candidates did not cover on their debates. If you saw me on CNN, you know that my issue was that I didn’t hear McCain mention anything about the middle class, and although Obama mentioned the magic number $250K, that leaves alot of uncertainty as to what will actually happen to those who don’t make $250K, or even $100K.
Of Course, with all the receptions and events going on, I was bound to see some fashion mishaps… Side note: Someone needs to buy me the HTC Touch Diamond so that I can blog directly from these events, and not just laugh and throw up, all while trying to remember the exact outfit so that I can blog later… Anyways, here are some of the issues I saw this week.
1. Boxy Suits – Guys, please spend the extra $40 to take your suit to a tailor and make it fit your body shape. Suits should be tapered on the sides, and the sleeves should stop at your WRIST, not the tip of your middle finger! Also, lose the suits with more than 3 buttons. I won’t even go further with this comment, and you shouldn’t go any further with those suits.
2. Sweater layers – OK, nothing is typically wrong for what I call the sweater layer… this is when a guy wears a sweater, dress shirt and tie with a suit. Perfect for cold weather, but guess what… it wasn’t that cold this week!
3. Suede boots? I don’t even know where to begin with this outfit… First off, do not come to a CBC event, or any type of Delegate Reception, with a spaghetti strap floral top and no bra… Better yet, Don’t go ANYWHERE with that on…. Secondly, and most importantly for the sake of making this educational and not mockery, do not wear suede boots until it gets cold.. If it is still warm for you to wear a spaghetti straps without a jacket, it is too warm for suede boots.
4. If your weave is messy, cheap, or anything else negative, please don’t throw a flower in it. It draws the attention all the way up to your hair and makes people like me comment on it.
5. Shirt/Tie/Pocket Square combos! I so didn’t know that people still bought these sets. Show off some spunk and create your own set. Don’t be so “matchy” with your ties and pocket squares. Don’t overdo your freedom of choice either.. have some sort of coordination when accessorizing